Thursday, July 31, 2014

The Man on the Ceiling

     A few weeks ago, i started having negative thoughts about my marriage.  They were thoughts of discontentment.  Now, I know we all have issues and marriage isn't always easy but at this point in my life, there was no reason I should have had these thoughts.  Jeremiah and I were getting along great, finances were in check, we had spent time together as a family, but still these thoughts kept creaping in.  I was aware they were in the back of my mind but there came a moment I had had enough.  
     I was tucking the boys into bed and as I leaned down to kiss Asher goodnight, the thought, "Maybe  we should get a divorce," ran through my mind.  It was at that very moment, I realized where these thoughts were coming from.  You see God's Word says that Satan is like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour, and this time, he was looking to devour my marriage.  I however, chose not to let him win this battle.  Immediately, I said, "No way devil!  I've had enough, and I won't allow you to put these thoughts into my mind."  From there, I headed to bed, wondering if I should tell Jeremiah the thoughts I had been having.  We are always very open and honest with each other but I didn't want him to think there was a reason for him to be concerned, so as i closed my eyes, I began to pray.  
     "God, renew my mind.  Help me to not be tempted to believe these lies.  Help me to focus on the good things, the things that right and true.  Guard my heart and mind Lord.  Protect my marriage, and give me peace."  
      I went to sleep and in the middle of the night was suddenly awakened.  I know this might seem strange and out there to some of you, but i felt a spiritual battle taking place right in front of me, I didn't see anything, I just felt it.  I don't even know how to describe it, but there was defintitely something going on in our bedroom.  I got up went to the bathroom and tried to go back to sleep.  When I woke up the next mornning I just layed there thinking about the events of the night when  Emerson, our 4 year old, who was sleeping in our bed that night woke up.  These were the first words out of his mouth, "Mom, did you see that man on the ceiling smiling at us?  I wonder how he got in here?"  He pointed to the window and said, "Maybe he came in from there."  
     I'll be honest, I was almost frozen; I wasn't sure how to respond.  I was almost afraid to ask him what he looked like, but I did it anyways.  He said, "He was just right up there on the ceilig smiling at us."  At that point he didn't give me anymore details and I knew if I asked, he would probably just make something up to give me an answer; but on our way home from town one day, he was taking note of the sun and said, "Mom, look at the sun!  There's a bright circle around the sun just like there was around that man in your room!"  Chills covered my body.
      "Emerson, do you know what that was you saw in my room?  That was an angel!" I said.
     And in true four year old fashion, he quickly replied, "No mom, he didn't have wings!"  So, of course we took that moment as an opportunity to talk about how we don't always see an angels wings, and that angels help God fight the bad guys.  
     Now, while I think it is incredibley awesome that God chose to let my son see an angel, I thinkk there's something more important for us to hold onto.  God is real.  He loves us more than we will ever be able to comprehend regarldless of what we have done.  When we believe in His son Jesus dying on the cross and raising from the dead, we become His child, but that doesn't mean, the enemy won't still try to win a battle here and there.  Just think, Satan even tried to tempt Jesus himself.  He thinks he's big stuff, but I tell you what, he's nothing compared to my God.  Don't allow him to drive a wedge in your life, wihether it's in your marriage, a relationship with a family member or friend.  Don't let him build bitterness in your life.  I get that life isn't always pleasant, but there are so many lies we believe that are the product of Satan's manipulation and our human nature.  Be prepared for battle! Guard your heart; In Phillipians 4:8, God's Word says, "Summing it all up, friends, I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse" (The Message).  When you are feeling defeated pray and ask God to direct you to His Word.  Get filled up on the truth and get ready to kick the devils' booty!  

No comments:

Post a Comment